With the coming holiday season comes a lot of time spent in the kitchen whether you're making candy apples or a Thanksgiving Day feast, keeping safe in the kitchen starts with you!
The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly and stay in the home.
• Always keep a lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the
lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it’s cool.
• Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stovetop.
• Loose clothing can hang down onto stove burners and catch fire. Wear short,
close-fitting, or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
• Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas
where hot food or drink is prepared or carried
If you have a small (grease) cooking fire and decide to fight the fire...
• On the stovetop, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
• For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
If you have any doubt about fighting a small fire…
• Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
• Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number from outside the home.